Born and raised in Houston, Cordt obtained his undergraduate from Tulane University in New Orleans and his law degree from South Texas College of Law. At South Texas, Cordt clerked for the Chief Justice of the 1st Court of Appeals and excelled in the school’s nationally renowned trial advocacy program, earning the title of top trial advocate in his class. He was inducted into the prestigious Order of Barristers – a national honorary society for those who demonstrate extraordinary skills in the courtroom. He was also voted the Most Outstanding Graduate of his law school class by his peers. Shortly after graduation, he was asked to return to the law school as an adjunct professor in trial advocacy, a class he still teaches to this day.
After law school, Cordt began his career as a prosecutor with Harris County District Attorney’s Office, where spent his days trying cases in felony, misdemeanor, and juvenile courts. He was quickly promoted to Chief Prosecutor of a misdemeanor court, chosen to supervise and train new recruits. He was then hand-picked to work as an attorney in one of the most prestigious criminal firms in the state.
Cordt’s accomplishments as a defense lawyer quickly proved that defending individuals was his true calling. He has successfully represented judges, professional athletes, police officers, lawyers, doctors, and celebrities. He has particularly extensive experience in complex, white-collar charges and investigations, environmental crimes, and large-scale narcotics conspiracies.
He has been a National Trial Lawyers Association “Top 40 Under 40” Criminal defense lawyer since 2015, and a SuperLawyers “Rising Star” in White Collar Criminal Defense (an honor given only to the top 2.5% of attorneys nationwide) since 2017. In 2015, he was inducted as a graduate of Gerry Spence’s renowned Trial Lawyers’ College, an honor given to only 50 lawyers nationwide. His cases and victories are frequently featured in the media.
Cordt was recently elected to serve on the Board of Directors of the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association. He is an accomplished musician and currently lives in Houston with his family.
- B.S., 2009. Tulane University
- J.D., 2012. South Texas College of Law
- Order of Barristers
- Dean’s Advocacy Award
- Best Overall Advocate
- Most Outstanding Male Graduate
- Southern District of Texas
- Northern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Western District of Texas
- Order of Barristers
- Harris County Criminal Lawyers’ Association (on Board of Directors)
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers’ Association
- Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” (2021-2023)
- Superlawyers Rising Star in White Collar Criminal Defense (2017-2023)
- Martindale Hubbel “Preeminent” Attorney Rating
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 (2015-2019)
- Houstonia Magazine Top Lawyer (2015-2019)